IKEA Second Life
With our Second life service, you sell us used IKEA furniture you don’t need in a safe, streamlined way year-round. You’ll get IKEA credit. Someone else buys your old stuff second hand from us and gives it a new home. Everyone wins, especially the planet.
Bring back your old IKEA furniture
Your old IKEA furniture deserves a second chance
What your used furniture is worth varies, but you’ll get more for better condition, as-new pieces. We’re rolling out IKEA Second Life, so all IKEA products aren’t currently eligible. Use our estimator to see what you can earn and decide if you’d like us to buy back your IKEA furniture. If so, we’ll resell it with other second hand IKEA furniture in the Circular Hub at our stores.
How Second Life works at IKEA
- Determine what you want to resell. Only unmodified, completely assembled second hand IKEA furniture is accepted for buy back at IKEA. Refer to the lists of eligible/ineligible products. For ineligible items, consider reuse, donation, selling via online marketplaces or recycling.
- Use the buyback estimator tool. Find what IKEA furniture you’re interested in selling and tell us its condition. You’ll get an estimate of what IKEA will pay to buy back your furniture.
- Prep and go. Furniture must be clean and assembled. Bring your second hand IKEA furniture and your estimate to the Exchange and Returns section of your nearest or favourite IKEA store.
- At the store, a co-worker will compare the furniture’s condition to the estimate and set a final buy back price (that can differ from the estimate). After the inspection, you’ll be issued an IKEA refund card. We’ll resell your furniture in our Circular Hub. If we don’t accept your product, we can recycle/retire it in whatever eco-friendly ways are available.
- Pat yourself on the back. You’ve done a good deed. You’re helping us prolong product life, promote second hand furniture and waste less. Thanks for contributing to making IKEA more circular and to becoming people and planet positive!
- Spend your refund card online or in-store whenever you want. It’s redeemable for an unlimited period of time from the date of issue but can’t be used in our Bistros, Restaurants or Swedish Food Markets (IKEA Food). You can, however, certainly use it to bring home something “new to you” from the Circular Hub!
What second hand IKEA furniture does IKEA buy back?
Second hand furniture IKEA buys back
- Unmodified, completely assembled, clean IKEA products
- Office drawer cabinets
- Small structures with drawers
- Display storage
- Bookcases and shelf units
- Small tables
- Multimedia furniture
- Dining tables and desks
- Chairs and stools (not upholstered)
Second hand furniture IKEA doesn’t buy back
- Non-IKEA products, hacked IKEA products, modified IKEA products
- Individual components of combination/modular IKEA products
- Products that have been used outside (including outdoor furniture)
- Market hall items (accessories, decorations, lighting fixtures)
- Mattresses and bed textiles (blankets, mattress protectors)
- Sofas and armchairs
- Soft furnishings (pillows, towels, rugs)
- Textile, upholstered or leather products
- Items that contain glass
- Kitchens (including benchtops, cabinets, fronts)
- PAX wardrobes and accessories
- Other over-sized items
- Appliances or other electrical items
- Children’s and baby products (cribs, mattresses, changing tables)
Frequently asked questions
The furniture types eligible for our Second Life Service are listed above (see What second hand IKEA furniture does IKEA buy back?). For the details on if a specific product is part of the Service or not, we recommend to have a look into the estimation tool where all eligible products are included.
All Swiss IKEA stores offers the The Second Life service.
The second hand furniture will be re-sold in the Circular Hub of each Swiss IKEA store.
If the IKEA product is not part of the Second Life online quotation tool, we unfortunately do not accept it for the Second Life Service. Also please note the service conditions of the service, including that we only accept clean, complete, unmodified, and assembled furniture.
The Refund card is valid for 10 years.
The furniture that we buy back will be re-sold in the Circular Hub after being checked and refreshed.