Every day we work to improve the daily lives of as many people as we can, not just with our products and collections, but also with our services. Sometimes we have to gather information to do this. We don't just gather information because we want to. After all, we're talking about your privacy and we think we should be totally transparent about the whole issue.
Our commitment to customer privacy
In any event, we feel it's important to explain to you the following:
- We gather your data to make your shopping experience at IKEA the very best, paying attention to your specific wishes and always with total transparency.
- We are transparent and honest about the data we collect about you and the reason why we do it.
- We want to offer you a better experience with IKEA, and so we are always looking for ways to surprise you. To do so we need to get to know you better and adapt ourselves to your preferences, personal situation and tastes. When we use your personal information to obtain more complete information about you, we do so in accordance with legislation, and when necessary, we'll ask you for permission to do it.
- We fully understand that your data belongs to you. Therefore, you can tell us at any time if you no longer authorise us to process it.
- We guarantee your security and we process your data in line with European law.
Which personal data do we gather?
Who is the controller of your data?
Why and what do we process your data for?
Your relationship with IKEA shall not be affected if you do not authorise us to process your data for commercial purposes, although we won’t be able to offer you products and services that are specially personalised and adapted to your needs.
We also require your consent to record your basic contact details if you decide to leave your child in the Play Area while you shop or if you decide to register on the website of IKEA. Likewise, if you participate in an IKEA activity in which photos or videos are taken, we will ask you if we can circulate them.
When you use our website and fill in the contact forms, we shall collect information about the products that you want to buy, your email address and other data. If you do not complete your order, we may contact you (using the details you gave us) to offer you our help to finish the purchase on our website. This is an optional service and you can choose not to receive this type of message whenever you like by following the link to unsubscribe at the bottom of any message.
IKEA understands that as a customer you won’t expect us to be interrupting you constantly while you shop or to obtain your consent for each interaction with IKEA that involves processing personal data. We think we can offer you a personalised experience with the IKEA brand and to do this we can:
Send you commercial information about IKEA products, services, promotions or events and recommend products or services similar to the ones you have contracted in the past, especially if you are a member of our IKEA FAMILY Loyalty Club. This includes sending you congratulations on the indicated dates. These messages shall be sent to you by any channel of contact you’ve provided, preferably by email or other electronic system. We may use algorithms and various automated tools to compile and send out advertising material. However, we do not make decisions on an automated basis when these would have significant consequences for you. We can also offer you advertising on the website that is adapted to your tastes, preferences and interests.
Draw up a socio-demographic profile of customers and adapt the marketing information of IKEA to your characteristics and to your possible preferences, tastes and interests in an anonymous, non-personalised way for purely internal use.
Internally analyse the data and prepare studies, reports and statistics for purely internal use to help us to see how we can improve services, products and our website.
IKEA also understands that its legitimate interest in communicating with its customers and users takes precedence over the right of customers to not have their data processed without prior consent. However, you can always oppose the use of your data for these purposes at any time. Other uses of data based on legitimate interests are:
- Prevent fraud in shopping
- Record your voice to maintain service quality and use the recordings for training purposes.
- Serve you and provide you with the Customer service you require to resolve your queries and questions and resolve any issues you might have.
- Contact you when we launch a safety warning about one of our products.
- Send you quality surveys about the services provided.
- Sending invitations to evaluate IKEA products
- Collect your data when you fill in a complaint or congratulations form.
- Communicate your data to companies in the IKEA Group for internal administration and invoicing purposes, to efficiently manage our databases as well as to provide us with services that enable us to operate on a day-to-day basis and offer our products and services.
When do you provide us with personal data?
Do you need help in designing your kitchen or advice about how to furnish your home? If you do, you can arrange for an appointment online. We will record your name, postcode, telephone number and email address to contact you about the appointment.
We will also use the data you have provided to contact you, and for budget monitoring purposes, as well as to send you surveys about the quality of the service you have received. If you authorise it, we may also offer you information about IKEA products and services which we think may be of interest to you on the basis of any preferences you indicate when you complete the survey. We may also use the information we have gathered to undertake an internal analysis so that we can offer you better products and services. Please be advised that we work with an external supplier in the United States who complies with Binding Corporate Rules (BCR), as a guarantee that your personal data is correctly handled. This supplier will use the data exclusively for the purposes described.
- To process and manage your profile in the IKEA FAMILY Club.
- To issue electronic invoices (E-ticket)
- To analyse your shopping habits and history, both online and at IKEA stores, so as to send you personalised and improved offers of IKEA products and services thanks to automatic profile creation.
- To send you advertising from third-party companies linked to IKEA and financing offers from collaborating financial institutions, payment institutions you use to make purchases, and collaborating companies in the insurance, domestic and home furnishing sectors.
- To prepare and/or enrich your profile in order to get to know you better via statistical and mathematical procedures, including obtaining information about you from public sources.
For sending out surveys on IKEA products and services.
To check that your data is correct, to correct spelling errors that you might make when completing the forms used and to prevent fraud in membership of the Loyalty Club of IKEA FAMILY.
- To offer a browsing experience that is better adapted to your preferences and presents you with advertising of IKEA products that are adapted to your browsing patterns, using the information we have about you.
- To send you surveys about the products you buy at IKEA
- To improve the IKEA FAMILY Club website and ensure that its contents are presented as effectively as possible on your computer or mobile device.
Membership of the IKEA FAMILY Club may entail the transfer of data to third parties in the event that you request an electronic invoice (My Tickets) from financial entities or Public Authorities.
IKEA shares data with various companies that supply services to IKEA, and that require access to the data in order to properly administer the IKEA FAMILY Loyalty Club. With these companies we have signed the appropriate contracts containing the necessary safeguards to ensure that the data is protected. The relevant companies include those that send out advertising material through various channels, companies in different sectors that help us to analyse IKEA FAMILY Club customers, as well as companies belonging to the IKEA Group (based within the European Union), to oversee the proper administration of the Loyalty Club data. Similarly, in order to improve the service we offer you, your personal data may be transferred within or outside the European Union for the following purposes: to send commercial information via a supplier who complies with Binding Corporate Rules (BCR), or if you use the Rating and Reviews under the Privacy Shield.
If you wish to use our chat facility, the purpose of the data handling is to be able to resolve the queries that may arise in respect of online shopping, preparing the shopping list or queries on the status of your order, or to enable you to contact IKEA if you are seeking an answer to a question, to resolve a problem, or if you simply want to give us feedback about our service.
In many cases, you will not need to identify yourself, although there may be occasions when, in order to be able to help you, we will need basic contact and identification details (name, surname(s), telephone number, email address and, if strictly necessary, your National ID number) - as well as the information you provide in relation to your query. We may also record your IP address so that we know what country or town you are contacting IKEA from, but we will not know your exact geographical location. The IKEA chat facility will never ask for details of your credit card, your bank account or any other financial information. The IP address that we record will be stored for a maximum period of one month.
The legal basis for the handling of this data is the pre-contractual relationship established with IKEA, the execution of a contract, the fulfilment of legal obligations and the legitimate interest in the form of your query or the question you ask us. Data will not be shared with third parties, except under legal obligation. You are advised that while you are using the service, you should not provide any sensitive personal information (such as information relating to your health), nor information relating to third parties.
Which third parties do we share your data with?
- Postal mail workers.
- Email processors.
- Distribution companies.
- Companies working in transport, storage, assembly and installation, apparatus collection and environmental management, waste collection, disassembly and removal of old items.
- Household appliance technical servicing companies
- Payment providers.
- Companies that analyse the use of the IKEA website on behalf of IKEA.
- Companies that personalise the IKEA website.
- Companies that make our Customer Centre accessible via social networks.
- Other companies that provide services to IKEA and that need the data in order to provide those services
- Companies in the IKEA Group, including but not limited to: IKEA IT AB, IKEA Services B.V, IKEA Retail Services AB and IKEA Business Service Centre. However, we have made the relevant agreements with these companies that act as data processors for the safeguarding of your personal data.
Where is your data stored?
Security and confidentiality of your data
How long do we keep your data for?
What should you do with “fake messages”?
- We recommend that you always check who the sender of the email is. You can recognise the official emails of IKEA from the email address of the sender: @IKEA.com or @ikea.es.
- IKEA does not use WhatsApp to send prize promotions.
Do you have any questions or complaints?