IKEA Retail U.S. Releases the 2019 Better Life Report
New report highlights retail transformation, city expansion and sustainable growth
Conshohocken, PA – [February 4, 2020] – Today, IKEA Retail U.S. shared the 2019 Better Life Report, an annual summary highlighting progress the company has made on its journey to become more accessible and sustainable in the last fiscal year (September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019). The report showcases how IKEA Retail U.S. is driven by its vision to create a better everyday life for the many people, including customers, co-workers, communities, and the planet.
“We are proud of what we accomplished together with our 18,000 co-workers in 2019, a year of transformation and growth for IKEA in the U.S.,” said Javier Quiñones, President & Chief Sustainability Officer, IKEA Retail U.S. “In 2020, we will continue to invest in new and existing locations to make our shopping experience even more inspiring, affordable and accessible for our customers.”
The world is rapidly changing, and the retail environment, especially in the U.S., has been revolutionized. The Better Life Report reflects what IKEA Retail U.S. has done to bring the brand closer to customers, including the opening of a Planning Studio in Manhattan, the announcement of the new store format in Queens, NY, and increased investments in sustainability.
“One of our core values at IKEA is ‘renew and improve,’ and that is exactly what we have committed to do for our customers, co-workers, and the broader society,” said Quiñones. “We’ve been in the U.S. for more than 30 years, and we believe the investments we are making in sustainability and expansion today will be the catalyst for our growth tomorrow and for many years to come.”
Additional highlights from the 2019 Better Life Report include:
IKEA is becoming more accessible and convenient through new customer meeting points, digital tools and services by:
- Opening first IKEA Planning Studio in the U.S. in Manhattan, in addition to two new stores in Live Oak, TX and Norfolk, VA.
- Expanding the distribution network with three new units in Staten Island, Lakeland, FL and Joliet, IL.
- Offering TaskRabbit assembly services in all stores in addition to services such as Click & Collect, Click & Deliver and financing.
IKEA is committed to creating a healthier planet and has made significant sustainable investments in the U.S. and commitments, including:
- Acquiring a 49% stake in two Solar PV projects in Utah and Texas; with a total of 403 mega-watt capacity, this development ranks among the larger Solar Photovoltaic (PV) projects in the United States.
- Acquiring 64,000 acres of forestry in South Carolina, Alabama & Texas to contribute to a more circular economy and ensure responsible forest management.
- Pledging to only use recyclable or renewable based plastic by 2030.
Click here to view the U.S. Annual Summary — the 2019 Better Life Report.
Click here to view the Ingka Group Annual Summary and Sustainability Report.
For more information, please contact:
IKEA U.S. Press Office
About the Ingka Group
Ingka Group (Ingka Holding B.V. and its controlled entities) is one of 11 different groups of companies that own and operate IKEA retail under franchise agreements with Inter IKEA Systems B.V. Ingka Group has three business areas: IKEA Retail, Ingka Investments and Ingka Centers. Ingka Group is a strategic partner in the IKEA franchise system, operating more than 370 IKEA stores in 30 countries – including the IKEA Planning Studio and 50 stores in the U.S. Ingka Group operates business under the IKEA vision - to create a better everyday life for the many people by offering a wide range of well-designed, functional and affordable home furnishing products. For more information on IKEA in the U.S, see www.ikea.com/us/en/, @IKEAUSANews, @IKEAUSA or IKEAUSA on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.