Kitchen measuring service
IKEA kitchen measurement service gives you a reliable foundation to plan your new kitchen – and peace of mind that all your planning will lead to perfection. Let our technicians provide correct measurements and document the necessary details.
Due to the industry-wide impacts of COVID-19 on the supply chain, we are currently experiencing significant delays with our kitchen cabinets and fronts. While we continue working closely with our suppliers and partners to replenish stock as quickly as possible, we cannot estimate wait times, nor can we guarantee complete availability if you choose to move forward with your kitchen purchase today.
For a fee of $49, IKEA kitchen measurement service is quality assurance that everything’s right, so you’re less likely to run into costly mistakes or surprises during dreaming, planning, ordering and installing. For the DIYers, we’ve gathered guides, too.
How IKEA kitchen measuring service works
Before and during a kitchen measuring appointment
- Start dreaming and researching by browsing our kitchen inspiration or trying our online kitchen planners.
- To book your measuring service call 1-866-866-4532 or visit your nearest IKEA.
- Be sure your space is ready to be measured. Walls and ceilings must be finished. Plumbing, gas and electrical connections must be present.
- During your appointment, a professional technician will take photos and collect all the necessary details about your kitchen space like room dimensions, wall/corner inspections and locations of doors, plumbing, etc. To get an idea of what the technician will document, consult the list of required kitchen specifications in the section below.
After a kitchen measuring appointment
- The technician will provide comprehensive documentation and all required dimensions in the IKEA Home Planner software.
- Update your dreams, designs and plans based on your validated measurements.
- If you want more help from us, check out our kitchen planning service for one-on-one time with a kitchen expert.
Kitchen measuring service available in your area
Measuring service availability may vary by location. Select your store below to confirm service availability in your area.
With IKEA kitchen measuring service, a technician will take photos and collect all the details below. If you’re doing your own kitchen measuring, here’s the information you’ll need to plan accurately.
- Room dimensions: You’ll need measurements for width, wall length and ceiling height. On each wall, mark connections for electricity, water, gas, vents. Measure dimensions and mark locations of obstacles like radiators, pole supports, columns, chimneys, etc.
- Windows: Measure window dimensions, floor-to-window distance, window glazing thickness and window frame dimensions. Measure the space needed to fully open each window.
- Doors: Measure door dimensions, floor-to-door distance, door thickness and door frame dimensions. Measure the space needed to fully open each door.
- Electrical: For electrical outlets, measure the distance from the floor and sidewalls. List the type of electrical connection (single-phase or three-phase). Note the amperage and number of appliances that you will connect electrically (dishwasher, refrigerator, stovetop, oven). Measure and document the location of light switches.
- Vent: Measure the diameter (and if necessary, the adaptation to the IKEA standard for the flexible exhaust pipe), the distance from the floor to the vent (at the bottom of the opening), the distance from the sidewall at the vent (the beginning of the opening).
- Water connections: Measure the distance to the two water sources from the sidewalls, the distance to the water drain from the floor and the wall and if there are additional water connections (like a dishwasher or washing machine).
- Gas connections: Measure the distance from the floor to the gas connection, the distance from the sidewall to the gas connection, the diameter of the gas pipe, the distance from the floor and from the sidewall to the gas pipe.
- Relocating electrical outlets, drains, water connections, etc.? Detail where you want these new elements to be.
How to take your own kitchen measurements
When you’re cooking, a bit more of this or a little less of that doesn’t usually matter. But when you’re planning a new kitchen, every detail counts. Measuring where you’ll install your new kitchen is extremely important. Give yourself plenty of time to measure precisely – and measure more than once, if possible, to check your work. Reference the complete list of what to measure and document above and check out the tools below.
Follow along with a video
Get a quick overview and watch our “How to Measure Your IKEA Kitchen” video. When you’re ready to work, hit pause along the way so that you can measure at your own pace.
Use a kitchen planning guide
Our kitchen planning guide, “Your New IKEA Kitchen” that covers everything from measuring to installation. Find the “Measure” section and carefully complete each step.
Try the online kitchen planner
If you have a desktop or laptop computer, you can use the IKEA Kitchen Planner. The “Room Layout” section lists elements that can help you understand what to measure and document.
Frequently asked questions
An experienced, professional measurement technician will visit you in your home to assess the conditions and provide accurate measurements. All required dimensions will be entered into the IKEA Home Planner software and will be saved to your account under your unique user profile within 24 hours.
The measurement technician will collect or verify the measurements of your room including:
• Room dimension (height, length, width)
• Dimension and position of windows and doors
• Position of external walls
• Width of all windows (including the sill) and their height above the floor
• Position of sloping ceilings
• Position of electric, water and gas connections and other fixtures e.g. Pipes, radiators
• Confirm that all room corners are square
• Confirm that all included walls are plumb
Please be advised:
Walls and ceilings must be finished; and plumbing, gas, and electrical connections must be present at the time of the appointment.
No, there is no commitment to book kitchen planning or kitchen installation to use the kitchen measuring service.