IKEA Australia to transform their iconic big blue boxes into clean energy power stations
IKEA Australia has today announced the launch of Australia-first clean energy storage initiative that will support the South Australian power grid, in addition to powering its Adelaide store. The initiative will be Australia’s largest grid-connected commercial microgrid.
The IKEA Australia Clean Energy Transformation Project will transition IKEA Adelaide to operating with 100% renewable energy by 2025 and will generate low cost and clean energy for the Adelaide community. The project is being run in conjunction with Planet Ark Power, the South Australian Government, SA Power Networks and Epic Energy.
IKEA Australia is excited to be working with such inspirational partners to help shift the dial on clean energy production in Australia.”
Jan GardbergCEO & Chief Sustainability Officer
- Will see solar panels installed onsite on the rooftop of IKEA Adelaide, coupled with an onsite battery, managed by Planet Ark Power’s unique digital platform - eleXsys energy management system.
- The owner and operator of the microgrid, Epic Energy, will provide over 70% of the store’s electricity consumption.
- The installation of the eleXsys technology solution will enable the surplus stored clean energy to be traded into the South Australian network when demand is at its highest.
- EV chargers will be erected on site for customers, co-workers and the IKEA delivery fleet servicing South Australia.
- Will include the construction of sustainably sourced timber PV shade structures across the IKEA Adelaide car park. These structures will host additional solar panels which will increase the amount of surplus energy to be sold into the grid while continuing to power the site.
- This stage will generate a further 30% the store’s energy needs, resulting in IKEA Adelaide becoming 100% powered by onsite renewable generation.
- IKEA and its partners will move to investigate the viability of hydrogen energy being generated on site.
- There is also the possibility for IKEA to transform itself into an energy provider that can create and sell clean, renewable energy to the energy network.
Jan says, "The IKEA Australia Clean Energy Transformation Project will help us achieve three goals in our sustainability agenda including:
- being powered by 100% clean energy,
- transitioning our delivery fleet to 100% zero-emissions
- inspiring our customers in joining a clean energy movement.
We are thrilled that this project will create new opportunities for job creation, innovation, economic growth and reduced energy costs.
Our ambition is to be the first mover and inspire other IKEA stores to install larger solar installations, batteries and digital solutions."