IKEA Sell-back program
As an IKEA Family member, you can give your used IKEA furniture another life and get an in-store credit to refresh your home. It’s one little action that can have a big impact on your wallet and the planet. What your used furniture is worth will vary, but you’ll get more in-store credit for pieces that are in better condition or like-new.
At IKEA, we’re making sure our furniture can live as many lives as possible. Our Buy back and resell service is one of the ways we are making it easier and more affordable to live more sustainably. Join our journey to a more sustainable future.
How the IKEA Sell-back program works
- Send us 4 or more photos of the item that you would like to sell*.
- Allow 5 business days for an assessment, then check your application status. If the item is still processing, please wait 1 day and check again.
- If your application is approved, bring your fully assembled IKEA item to your selected store, along with your IKEA Family card and unique application code to get your in-store credit.
- Pat yourself on the back. You’ve done a good deed. You’re helping us prolong product life, promote second hand furniture and waste less. Thanks for contributing to a more circular IKEA and to becoming people and planet positive!
What second hand IKEA furniture does IKEA buy back?
IKEA products that qualify for sell-back must be:
- In good, resellable condition
- Listed below as eligible
- Complete and fully functional
- Properly assembled when returned
- Clean and unmodified
Second hand furniture IKEA buys back
- Office drawer cabinets
- Small structures with drawers
- Display storage
- Bookcases and shelf units
- Small tables
- Multimedia furniture
- Dining tables and desks
- Chairs and stools (not upholstered)
Second hand furniture IKEA doesn’t buy back
- Non-IKEA products
- Those that have been used outside, including outdoor furniture
- Hacked or modified products
- Market hall items, including accessories and decorations and lighting fixtures
- Mattresses and bed textiles such as blankets and mattress protectors
- Bed frames
- Sofas and armchairs
- Other soft furnishings such as pillows, towels, rugs, etc.
- Items that contain glass
- Kitchens including benchtops, cabinets and fronts
- PAX wardrobes and accessories
- Other over-sized items
- Appliances or other electrical items
- Children’s and baby product such as cribs, mattresses and changing tables
COVID-19 safety measures
With health and safety as our top priority, we have implemented enhanced, preventative measures across the entire shopping experience and operations to ensure co-workers and customers feel safe to work and shop. Read more about our precautions and how you can do your part.
Frequently asked questions
All IKEA stores in Canada are participating in the IKEA Sell-back program. IKEA Canada Design Studios and Pick-up locations do not participate in the IKEA Sell-back program.
You can purchase second hand IKEA furniture at the Circular Hub in the IKEA store nearest you. For more information on Circular Hub and to reserve an item at your local IKEA from the Circular Hub click here.
Prior to heading to the store with your item, please check your application status online to see if the item is approved or not. If your item is not approved, you can learn why it was not approved by checking your application status. The store will not accept items that have not been submitted online via the official application form.
*If the item does not match the photos and description submitted on the online application, IKEA reserve the right to reduce or withdraw the in-store credit offer. We ask that all items are accurately represented in submission to avoid any misunderstandings around condition of the product. Photos are taken and images selected should best represent the product and its condition.