Equality, diversity and inclusion turns our workplace into a home
At IKEA, we believe everyone has the right to be treated fairly and be given equal opportunities, regardless of their age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion or any other dimension of their identity.
I want co-workers to feel they work for a company that is fair and just. Where everyone feels included, where they have an equal chance to develop within IKEA, and where they are seen and heard by their leaders, by their peers and by their colleagues.”
Peter JelkebyCountry Retail Manager and CSO
Diversity is good for everyone
Welcoming differences is not just good for you, it’s good for us too. We’ve learned that diverse teams have more and better ideas and help us understand and support our customers better. They also help us grow as an organisation. After all, everyone has a different way of looking at the world. So, who knows? Perhaps your unique take on something could lead to a great idea that helps make customers’ and co-workers’ lives at home a little bit better.
An inclusive workplace is a better workplace
As a co-worker we don’t want you just getting through the day, we want you to thrive, and this is only possible if you feel safe and can truly be yourself. And once we’ve brought you on board, we want you to stick around, because we’re planning on doing great things together.
There are 7 areas in focus in helping us achieve a more equal everyday:
- Everyday Inclusivity
- Closing the Gender Gap
- Multi-Culturalism of Ethnicity, Race & Nationality Inclusion
- LGBTQ+ Inclusion
- Disability Inclusion
- Increasing Accountability, Leadership & Competence
- Upskilling & Re-skilling Refuges and Local Communities for a more equal world
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion partners
We have created an inclusive ED&I, Health & Wellbeing Calendar which engages all our co-workers to join us in making a movement towards a more equal everyday.
- BDF - We work together to help create workplaces that are disability-inclusive. BDF works in partnership with business, government, and disabled people to remove barriers to inclusion and together create a disability-smart world.
- Catalyst - We work together to help drive change in leadership with actionable solutions to accelerate the advancement of women in the workplace.
- Diversity in Retail - We work together in a collaborative community with other retailers and industry sectors, to make a difference in how we lead Diversity & Inclusion across the business.
- Global Butterflies - We work together to bring better awareness about the trans and non-binary community. By working closely with us, they will help us to take simple steps to be more trans & non-binary (& LGBT+) inclusive.
- Stonewall - We work together to unlock the potential of our LGBTQ+ co-workers, building an environment that helps to attract, retain and nurture the best talent from the LGBTQ+ community.
An ally to LGBT+ co-workers and colleagues
Our aim is to create a fully inclusive work environment and to provide equal opportunities for everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Here are some of the actions we’ve taken to achieve this
- We implemented a global LGBT+ inclusion plan.
- We co-created and endorsed the UN Standards of Conduct on tackling discrimination against LGBT+ people in the workplace and in the community.
- We are members of Workplace Pride Foundation and Stonewall, two organisations focused on LGBT+ inclusion in the workplace.
- We also joined Open for Business, a business coalition for advancing LGBT+ inclusion in society.
- We launched global trans-inclusion guidelines to help managers build trans-inclusive teams and workplaces.
- Each year on May 17 we celebrate IDAHOT (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, and Transphobia) with a global campaign.
Your next job? Being yourself.
When you come and work for us, we want you to bring your whole self: the bits you’re proud of, the messy and complicated bits, and the bits that haven’t yet had a chance to shine. To us your uniqueness is an asset. At IKEA everyone has a home.