TRÅDFRI gateway and IKEA Home smart app support
Here's where you'll find answers to common questions about the heart of your smart home – TRÅDFRI gateway and the app IKEA Home smart.
You can use your smart products with physical remote controls. But if you want to connect them to your mobile device, you need to download the app and have the TRÅDFRI gateway.
About the gateway and app
What is TRÅDFRI gateway?
The gateway is a small device that connects your smart products from IKEA to your IKEA Home smart 1 app via your home Wi-Fi network, so that you can control your smart products from a mobile device anywhere in your home. You can set timers and different smart lighting moods to make your everyday more convenient.
Download the app to control your IKEA Home smart products together with the TRÅDFRI gateway.
The IKEA Home smart 1 app will not control your smart products without the gateway.
You can also control your smart products with:
- Remote control - Control your IKEA Home smart products with a simple touch of a button.
- Sensor - Make your home feel more safe with lighting that turns on right away upon motion.
- Voice control - Control your IKEA Home smart products with your voice. Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit.
If you have the DIRIGERA hub at home and need some help, or if you are interested in updating your existing smart home with the hub instead of TRÅDFRI gateway, read our DIRIGERA hub product support.
IKEA Home smart 1 app
Download the app to control your smart products from IKEA together with TRÅDFRI gateway.
We will continuously update this app, but to make the most out of your smart home, there are more features to explore in the IKEA Home smart app when used with DIRIGERA hub.
How to install TRÅDFRI gateway kit
The IKEA Home smart 1 app and TRÅDFRI gateway make it easy to control your smart home. Set timers to wake you up, create scenes and add control smart products. Watch the video and learn how to get started with the TRÅDFRI gateway kit.
How to set timers
You can set a wake-up light and control your smart products according to a schedule or set a timer – the smart products will work according to your schedule and timers even when you’re away.
Watch the video to learn how to set timers with the IKEA Home smart 1 app.
How to connect the app to TRÅDFRI gateway
- Check that the gateway’s power is on. If not, check that the power supply cable is correctly attached.
- Verify that the gateway is connected to your Wi-Fi router via a network cable and that the router has internet connectivity.
- To continue, you need to download the IKEA Home smart app 1 from App Store or Google Play and follow the step-by-step guide in the app to set-up your gateway.
- Follow instructions in the app on how to set-up your gateway and how to connect the steering devices and light sources.
- Find the QR code on the back of your gateway and scan it with your mobile phone following the instruction in the app. If you have a problem scanning the code, you can type the gateway code manually. You’ll find the gateway code on the back of your gateway. If you still have a problem, check that all cables are connected and then try again.
- Secure that your mobile phone is connected to your Wi-Fi network; the same network the gateway is connected to.
- If you have problems, set-up the gateway by following the steps in the app. You can reset your products by carrying out a factory reset and installing again.
How to reset the gateway
You can reset your gateway back to the original settings (factory reset), and disconnect it from the app, by following these instructions:
- Open and remove the gateway lid.
- Push a pin into the pinhole on top of the gateway for at least 5 seconds until the LED light stops flashing.
How to reset smart products
You can reset your smart products back to the original settings (factory reset), and disconnect them from the gateway and app, by following the instructions below.
- For light sources: Toggle the main switch 6 times.
- For TRÅDFRI remote control, TRÅDFRI wireless dimmer or TRÅDFRI motion sensor: Press the pairing button 4 times within 5 seconds.
- For TRÅDFRI wireless control outlet: Push a pin into the pinhole on top of the control outlet for at least 5 seconds until the LED light stops flashing.
- For blinds: Press both up and down buttons on the blind for 5 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check the latest compatibility information in the App Store or Google Play.
You can use IKEA Home smart products with Amazon Alexa if you have a TRÅDFRI gateway (for market and language availability, please refer to Amazon support).
Follow the instructions in the integrations menu in the IKEA Home smart 1 app, meaning that you should first enable the Amazon Alexa integration in the IKEA Home smart 1 app and then enable the IKEA Home smart skill in the Amazon Alexa app. If you experience issues, disable the integration in both IKEA Home smart 1 app and Amazon Alexa app and then enable it again, first in IKEA Home smart 1 app and then in Amazon Alexa app.
You can use IKEA Home smart products with Google Assistant if you have a TRÅDFRI gateway (for market and language availability, please refer to Google support).
Follow the instructions in the integrations menu in the IKEA Home smart 1 app, meaning that you should first enable the Google Assistant integration in the IKEA Home smart 1 app and then enable the IKEA Home smart service in the Google Home app.
If you experience issues, disable the integration in both IKEA Home smart 1 app and Google Home app and then enable it again, first in IKEA Home smart 1 app and then in Google Home app.
The factory reset will clean up all data saved in the gateway and make it re-form a new Zigbee network. It will also work on the latest Over the Air (OTA) image it updated to so far and revert to the factory flashed firmware. This can only be triggered by using the pinhole-button. The rest of the system is left intact, meaning that you can continue to use the rest of the devices in the system.
Experience what a smart home could do for you
With so many possibilities offered, it might not be a given as to where to begin. That’s why we’ve set up a virtual smart home for you to test out and try. Here you can turn the lights on and off or change their colours. Open the blinds for the fresh morning light and then close them as the evening winds down. Turn up the volume for a party or lower it when it's time to relax.
Found your next favourite yet?
Is it a side table or is it an air purifier? Well, it’s both! This is just one example of how we’ve integrated smart functions into a clever piece of furniture. And all of them get even more functions and digital features when connected to the smart products.