How to make homemade bread quickly and easily
Making homemade bread is super easy, much easier than it might seem. You don't need a special oven, 'rare' ingredients or too much time. We want to show you how to make homemade bread quickly and easily both using traditional methods and our KNÅDA mixes, with which you can make crusty, fried or multigrain bread. Make sure that you take a look!
Bread is a staple in many cultures. Including ours. It's a holy grail food of the Mediterranean diet and offers huge benefits, such as being a really good source of energy thanks to its carbohydrates. What's more, it helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases and promotes digestion, especially wholegrain breads.
Ingredients for making homemade bread
- 500 grams strong flour
- 10 grams salt (one teaspoon)
- 300 ml warm water
- 5 grams active yeast or baking powder
Step-by-step homemade bread method
Here's how to make homemade bread quickly and easily using the traditional method:
- Grab a large bowl and mix the flour and salt first.
- Then, little by little, add the water with the dissolved dry yeast, making a volcano in the centre of the flour. If you opted to use active yeast, add this a few minutes before you finish kneading.
- Mix with a wooden spatula first and when you've cleared the sides of the bowl, mix with your hands.
- Remove the dough from the bowl when it's fully incorporated and knead it on a surface with a little flour so it doesn't stick.
- Form a ball and leave it to rest for about an hour inside a previously oiled tin, and cover with a cloth.
- Then choose how many loaves you want to make and cut the dough into as many parts you like. Knead each one.
- Leave to prove again and re-cover with a cloth or wrap in a bundle. This second proofing will last about an hour and a half.
- When approaching the end of the second proofing, preheat the oven to its maximum temperature.
- Place your dough on baking paper in any shape you like and score.
- Put the bread in the oven on the baking tray. You can put a glass of water at the bottom to create steam or sprinkle a little in the oven.
- The first quarter of an hour hardens the top, then remove the water and lower the temperature to around 180/200 ºC and leave for another 25 minutes or until the base of the bread sounds hollow.
- Allow to cool and tuck in!
How to prepare multigrain bread using the KNÅDA mix
The KNÅDA mix is an easier way to make bread, without getting all your dishes dirty, as all ingredients are already in the bag.
Here's how to make it, step by step:
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (175 °C in a fan oven).
- Add 425 ml of warm water (around 45 ºC) to the bag and close properly.
- Keep the bag upright and knead the paste until smooth.
- Grease a bread mould with vegetable oil or butter.
- Put the dough in the bread mould, shake to spread the dough evenly and leave to prove by covering it with a cloth for around 45 minutes.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for around 60 minutes.
- Use the dough immediately once prepared.
We love it when customers use our products in a creative way. Why not try to do something new with them yourself? But do remember that any modifications or changes that you make to IKEA products will prevent them from being resold or used for their original purpose, thus invalidating IKEA product warranties and your right to return them.