Frequently asked questions
IKEA U.S. stores are now open and our top priority is the safety of our co-workers, customers and community. We are carefully and thoughtfully following guidance from all state and local authorities, and the guidelines provided by the CDC. To view stores hours, please visit your local store page. Below you can find updates and information to help you shop safely in our stores.
Update on stock availability at stores:
- We strive to maintain availability of all items listed on IKEA.com because we know your home is the most important place in the world: Our goal is to help make it a more comfortable, happy space for your family. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are currently experiencing supply delays due to COVID-19.
- Customers can check online or on the IKEA app to see product availability in their local store prior to visiting. Stock updates are made every 24 hours.
- To check, go to the product page, choose your local IKEA store and click on the "Check Stock" button. If you want updates, select to be notified when supply is back.
- Due to system updates and high demand, there is a chance an item with low stock may not be available for purchase.
- We appreciate your patience while we work with suppliers to restock your favorite IKEA products.
What to expect when you visit the store:
- Everyone must wear a face covering when in our store. In accordance with CDC recommendations, this includes those who have received the COVID-19 vaccination.
- Our co-workers will be provided the PPE and supplies to work safely including hand sanitizer and masks.
- We are monitoring the number of visitors in the store and maintaining a strict physical distancing guideline of six feet including floor decals for customer lines.
- There are hand sanitizer stations throughout the store and we will frequently sanitize and clean surfaces
- There are plexiglass separation screens around cash registers and customer service points.
- Select stores have opened with new, enhanced safe food handling procedures in the IKEA Bistro and Restaurant. The Swedish Food Market will also be open for food purchases, but take out only. Visit your local store page for more information.
- The IKEA Restaurant and children’s play area, Småland, will remain closed at this time as an added safety measure.
How should you prepare for your visit:
- Please play your part by listening to local government guidelines, respecting hygiene rules and wear your face covering, maintaining social distancing and staying home if you feel unwell or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone must wear a face covering when in our store.
- We recommend you plan for your purchase in advance and consider a non-peak time or later date to shop if the need isn’t immediate.
- Special shopping hours for our seniors and at-risk customers on Tuesdays. Visit your local store page for the hours.
- There could be longer wait times
- We have suspended all removal services. Pick-up of exchanges at customers’ homes vary by market.
- We have made updates to our return policy. View our updated policy here.
- Operations continue but delivery times are running longer than usual.
- We temporarily changed our Home Delivery to implement social distancing and moved to contactless delivery. Our Home Delivery drivers will now deliver to your covered porch, garage or doorstep. However, in certain markets, the following products may be delivered to your room of choice: 1) Queen and King Beds; 2) Queen and King Mattresses; 3) Kitchen Appliances; 4) Sofa Frames; and 5) PAX Wardrobes. It is ultimately the responsibility of the Delivery Company to determine whether your delivery of the above products to your room choice is permissible based on the Delivery Company’s terms & conditions and relevant COVID-19 regulations and guidance. Exclusions are subject to change.
- Expedited Delivery is a delivery service fulfilled and shipped by a store. This service is available in select locations.
- Please see our updated Delivery Terms and Conditions
Click & Collect
- Click & Collect is available.
- We have adjusted the pick-up process, please see our Click & Collect page for more details.
- The booking for Assembly through IKEA is available. To book your Assembly, please visit here.
- Kitchen Measurement and Planning services will be available online and in select stores in accordance with local regulations.
- Kitchen Installation services may be available in select locations in accordance with local regulations and hygiene practices. Contact your Kitchen Planner for availability and details.
- See Kitchen Services for details.
- Our Customer Support Center is now working on reduced hours of operation from 9:00 AM – 10:00 PM ET, 7 days a week.
- Our Customer Support Center is experiencing higher than usual contact volumes which may result in longer response times.
We look forward to welcoming customers back to our store locations soon and we thank you for your understanding.
Your Local IKEA Store
Q: What are your hours of operation for the store and the restaurant? Are you open on holidays?
A: Hours of operation may vary per store. Please visit your local store page for the most up-to-date store hours including holiday hours.
Q: Are Wheelchairs available to customers?
A: All IKEA store locations provide complimentary manual wheelchairs inside the store entrance. We do not offer motorized wheelchairs or scooters.
Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
A. For online + phone purchases (home delivery) we accept IKEA gift cards (with PIN), American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA
We do not accept checks for any order type.
Q: How do I know if an item is in stock?
A: You will be notified if an item is out of stock during the checkout process.
Q: Can I have my items delivered?
IKEA offers a flat rate online delivery service to your home or business starting at $5 for small item shipping and $49 for large item delivery to your home or business and placed in the first dry room at no additional cost.
Q: Why is my item out of stock?
A: We strive to maintain availability of all items listed in our catalog. However, due to the success of a particular item or supply delays, it is possible that an item can be temporarily out of stock. Most times, our store co-workers can provide delivery information on an out of stock item. IKEA products are manufactured all over the world and there are many circumstances that can, at times, impact supply. For store product inquiries, simply go to the product page, choose your local IKEA store, and then click on the "Check Stock" button.
Q: What can I do if an item is out of stock?
A: IKEA receives daily shipments of our products. If an item is out of stock, check the product page periodically for stock updates. Quantities are updated throughout the day to reflect current stock levels.
Together with our delivery service providers, we have updated our operating procedures to ensure the health and safety of our customers, co-workers and providers. We have temporarily changed our service and will now only deliver to the first dry room, as opposed to room of choice.
In addition, as our service providers are taking additional precautions when performing deliveries, this could result in unexpected delays and we apologize for this inconvenience. Please allow some time after your confirmed time window before contacting us.
Q: Do you have a delivery service?
A: IKEA offers a flat rate online delivery service to your home or business starting at $5 for small item shipping and $49 for large item delivery to your home or business and placed in your room of choice at no additional cost. If you choose to have your items delivered in-store, simply speak to an in store IKEA Co-worker for more details. For more information on our services click here.
Q: If I place my order online, how long will it take to be delivered?
A: Online delivery dates vary depending on your zip code. You will be provided with an estimated delivery date when you are checking out, before the order is completed. *Please note that this is not a guaranteed delivery date for your order. The delivery provider will contact you to confirm your delivery date and a 4 hour time window.
Q: How do I know what time the local delivery company will delivery my order?
A: The local delivery company will contact you the day before your scheduled delivery date to provide you with a four hour time frame
Q: If I place my order online, how much is delivery?
A: We offer delivery prices starting at $5. To find out the online delivery cost for your order, add the intended items to your shopping cart, and enter your state and zip code into the delivery estimator in the shopping cart.
Q: Can I place an order online with a credit card with a foreign billing address?
A: If you would like to place an order using a foreign credit card, please contact us please call the IKEA US Contact Center at 1-888-888-4532.
Q: How many gift cards can I use for an online order?
A: Customers may use up to 4 IKEA gift cards per online order.
Q: Can I use a Store return card for an online purchase?
A: At this time, return cards can only be used at our local store locations.
Q: How do I contact the carrier who will deliver to me?
A: The phone number for the delivery company that will deliver your merchandise will be found on your Home Delivery contract.
Q: What do I do if I need to cancel or reschedule my online order?
A: Click here to manage, cancel or reschedule your order, or contact us by calling 888-888-4532.
Q: An item is missing or damaged during my delivery. What should I do?
A: Please call the IKEA US Contact Center at 1-888-888-4532 for questions about your delivery.
Q: What is Expedited Delivery?
A. A. Expedited Delivery is a delivery service that will allow our customers to make an online purchase which will be fulfilled and shipped by a store. This service is available in select locations.
Click & Collect
Click & Collect is available. Customers with pending Click & Collect orders will be notified by IKEA Customer Service with a refund update and cancellation notification via email.
Q: Is Click & Collect available for all IKEA stores?
A: Click & Collect is available. Shop ikea.com, add products to your shopping cart, and at checkout, select Click & Collect to find a participating IKEA store near you. We will prepare your order for pick up in the store you chose!
Q: How long do I have to pick up my Click & Collect Order?
A: Effective March 20, 2020, due the COVID-19 pandemic, our Click & Collect terms have been temporarily modified and you must pick-up your order on your pick-up date or your order will be cancelled and you will be refunded.
Q: What terms and conditions apply for my Click & Collect order?
IKEA delivery terms and conditions apply to Click & Collect.
Q: What should I do if my item is damaged?
A: We will be happy to exchange it for you. If only one piece of the unit is damaged, call us within 365 days of the purchase with your receipt information and we will be happy to deliver the missing items within 7-10 days. Size restrictions may apply.
Q: What should I do if I’m missing a part from my package?
A: First, please check to make sure that you have all of the packages for the item. Some products come in several boxes, or are sold separately. You will find the number of packages required on the product label (example: Box 1(2) and Box 2(2)). If you are missing a box or a part that should have been included inside the package simply call us with within 365 days of the purchase with your receipt information and we will be happy to deliver the missing items within 7-10 days. Size restrictions may apply.
Q: I purchased an appliance from IKEA and its missing a part. What should I do?
A: If the appliance was purchased within 365 days, return back into the store location with your receipt and we will be happy to resolve your issue there. For missing parts of appliances, please provide the serial number of the item
Q: If screws are missing in the package, can you send them to me?
A: Only the screws referenced in the assembly instructions (with 6 digit code) can be ordered by calling 1-888-888-4532 or emailing us. The screws are then sent by mail within 10 days. If you need screws and other parts quickly, please visit the Returns and Exchanges department in your local IKEA Store with your receipt.
Q: The assembly instructions are missing from the package. Where can I find them?
A: Assembly Instructions can be found on the website's product page on the right hand side.
Q: I don't have the middle support of my bed. Was it missing from the package?
A: Most IKEA beds require the SKORVA midbeam. In store, this article is purchased separately from your bed frame and is communicated in the store on the price tag and product banners. Please check your receipt to see if this item was purchased, if not return to your local IKEA store to purchase this item. Online orders will include the midbeam in a purchase of a bedframe, but is packaged separately.
Q: I purchased an appliance from IKEA a couple years ago and it’s not working. What should I do?
A: For appliance help outside of 365 days, please contact Whirlpool directly at (866) 664-2449. For more information regarding our appliance warranty, please click here.
Q: I purchased an item in the store location, but I left it at the register. What should I do?
A: If items are left behind in the store, we will do what we can to locate the missing goods. However, IKEA is not liable for any lost/stolen or left behind merchandise once it is purchased at the register. Please give us a call at 888-888-4532 within 24 hours of making your purchase so that we can attempt to locate the item(s).
Q: I purchased an item from IKEA years ago, but I need replacement parts. What should I do?
A: If the screws listed have a 6 digit part number, contact us and we are able to send them out free of charge within 10 days. However, if the parts do not have a 6 digit number, please visit the Recovery section in our local store to see if they are available. Fees may apply.
Q: Does IKEA offer assembly service?
A: The booking for Assembly through IKEA is available in all locations. Visit TaskRabbit.com/IKEA to see if this service is available in your area. Our products are designed to be assembled by you. That way, you’ll save the most money. However, we've teamed up with TaskRabbit to provide even more options to assemble your IKEA furniture. Learn more here.
Q: What is TaskRabbit?
A: TaskRabbit is a service platform that conveniently connects you with a network of independent ‘Taskers’ to handle everything from IKEA furniture assembly to odd-jobs or errands. Learn more here.
Q: Is TaskRabbit Assembly available in my area?
A: TaskRabbit Assembly is available in most metro areas in the US. Availability of Taskers vary based on demand. Visit taskrabbit.com/IKEA for a complete list of the metro areas.
Q: What is included in my assembly?
A: Furniture assembly and mounting is available for most IKEA items. Taskers follow assembly instructions and will secure items to the wall when specified.
Q: When can I book my assembly?
A: Book as early as tomorrow and up to 14 days in advance.
Q: When do I pay for my task?
A: Your task is paid when the task is fully completed.
Please visit our IKEA warranties page. Original receipt is required for any warranty claims.
If you’re not totally satisfied with your IKEA purchase you can return new and unopened products within 365 days, together with your proof of purchase, for a full refund. You may also return open products within 180 days, with your proof of purchase, for a full refund.
We have suspended all removal services. Pick-up of exchanges at customers’ homes vary by market.
Q: What is the complete IKEA Return Policy?
A: View the IKEA return policy here.
Q: What if my item does not meet the return policy?
A: Any situation that falls outside of the return policy will be handled on a case by case basis and requires a visual inspection of the item at your local store. Any returns made without a receipt will be refunded the lowest selling price to a store credit.
Q: How can I return items purchased online or over phone?
A: Under normal circumstances, items can be returned to any IKEA store location with proof of purchase (for online and phone orders, your order confirmation will come via email). Visit our returns page to find out the best way to return for you.
Updated 11/2/2020: IKEA U.S. will not be participating in the global IKEA Buy Back program at this time. Please hold on to, or find other ways to donate, sell or recycle, your used IKEA furniture at this time. Read the full statement here.