Updated May 2019
1. What personal information do we collect?
Information you provide to us
You may provide the following information to us in our stores and online:
- Personal and contact information, such as name, date of birth, email address, mobile/landline telephone number, home address, age, and gender
- IKEA FAMILY card number
- Payment information, such as credit card information and billing address
- Purchasing activity, product preferences, reasons for purchasing a product, family and lifestyle
- Information you post: If you comment or otherwise provide information in a public space on one of our websites, we collect a record of it and any personal information included in the comment. For example, this may include posting a review of a product
- Information you provide through social media
- Other information you give us when you contact our customer services team, when you engage with our social media platform (for example by tagging us in a post on Instagram), when you sign up for IKEA FAMILY membership, or when you otherwise interact with us
- Some of our stores have supervised children’s play areas (“Smaland”) which can be used while you shop. In order to use these areas, you will be asked to provide information including the child’s name and age, the parent’s or guardian’s name, address, telephone number and signature, and any necessary health information
Information collected through automated means
We may use automated technology such as cookies and other tracking software to collect personal information from your computer system or mobile device. We may collect the following information:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address or other device identifier
- Browser type and version
- Browsing information, such as pages you view and the links you click, and whether you access our website via a social media site
- Time zone setting
- Browser plug-in types and versions
- Operating system and platform
- Other portable device information
- With your permission, we may also collect your precise location data. We may also collect the time spent visiting, usage patterns, and the domain name of the website from which you linked to our websites.*
- When you use our free in-store WiFi for your mobile device in an IKEA store, we collect your Media Access Control (MAC) address and location data.* If you do not want us to do this, please turn off the WiFi capability within your mobile device settings.
*We use this information on an anonymous basis and do not use it to identify any particular user. We do not link this data to any other data that we hold about you.
Third parties may also provide us with additional publicly available information about you.
2. When do we collect your personal information?
You share personal information with us in various ways. For example, we receive personal information when you:
- Purchase products and services from us in store, online, or over the phone
- Make a return or exchange
- Use our in-store WiFi services or have your WiFi switched on in-store
- Create an online account
- Join our IKEA FAMILY loyalty program
- Participate in surveys, competitions, promotions or certain discounts/coupons
- Contact our customer services team in store, online or over the phone
- Provide us your contact information so we can respond to your questions or concerns submitted through the in-store “Help Us to Improve” function
- Submit an application for employment
- Interact with us on social media (by mentioning/tagging us or by contacting us directly)
- Interact with our websites, such as when you visit our websites on a device, enable location-based features, or click on sponsored links or third-party advertisements on our websites or on other websites and online services
- Fill out a product registration form
- Request a catalog or subscribe to our email list
- Visit stores: IKEA uses cameras in and around its stores for security and operational purposes. We may also retain an image of your likeness if you provide your picture to us
- Use our supervised children’s play area (“Smaland”)
- Apply for an IKEA Visa® Credit Card
- Sign up for mobile notifications regarding updates at your local IKEA store
At this time, we do not track our users’ personal information over time and across third-party websites. We therefore do not respond to browser Do Not Track signals.
3. How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information for business purposes: to make our products and services available to you; to personalize your shopping experience; to improve our operations; and for security and legal reasons.
Some examples of how we use your personal information include:
- Processing and fulfilling orders online or in-stores, including by facilitating the delivery of product orders
- Communicating with you regarding purchases
- Responding to your questions and comments
- Measuring your customer satisfaction
- Enabling the safe and secure use of our supervised children’s play area in certain stores (Smaland)
- Providing you with marketing material via SMS, mail and email (with your consent where required by law)
- Analyzing shopping trends through account activity and purchase history to provide you a personalized browsing experience
- Sending IKEA FAMILY members special promotions based on store spend or customer birthday
- Allowing you to create a profile on our websites which enables you to purchase IKEA products and services online without having to fill in your personal information every time you shop online with us
- Ensuring that our websites are presented in the most effective and relevant manner for you and your device, including setting default options for you such as language and store location
- Conducting checks for fraud or other illegal activity
- Protecting our rights or property (or those of others)
- Fulfilling our legal and compliance-related obligations (such as if we receive a legitimate request from a law enforcement agency)
4. With whom do we share your personal information?
We do not sell personal information to third parties.
In order for us to provide our products and services to you, we share some of your personal information with trusted third-party service providers, with other members of the IKEA-brand corporate family, or with public authorities. For example:
- We use third party service providers to help with delivery, product assembly and installation, waste removal, processing payments, and other services. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our vendors and service providers in the United States or other locations where the service providers or IKEA have facilities.
- We may share your financial information including your credit, debit card or other payment information with third parties to ensure that your payment is safe and that your details are not being used fraudulently
- We may disclose your personal information to our insurers where we believe that it is required by law or contract
- We may share data with other members of the IKEA-brand corporate family to facilitate operations and business
- We may share or disclose your personal information with law enforcement agencies or public authorities in order to prevent or detect crime or fraudulent activities, as well as in order to fulfill any legal or regulatory obligations
- We may share your personal information to comply with court orders and to exercise and/or defend our legal rights
- We may share your personal information in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets
- We may use your personal information with your consent or as otherwise permitted or required by law
We also disclose non-private, deidentified, aggregate or otherwise non-personal information with third parties, including social media companies like Facebook and Twitter, and online advertising companies like Google, to deliver targeted advertising about other products and services for marketing purposes. You may opt-out of receiving marketing messages by using the opt-out mechanisms and links provided in each message.
5. How do we protect the privacy of children?
IKEA does not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children younger than 13 on IKEA websites or mobile applications. We do not knowingly allow children to order our products, communicate with us, or use any of our online services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
6. What are your rights with respect to your personal information?
Depending on your jurisdiction, you may have certain rights with respect to your personal information. If you would like to speak to us about any of your rights, please contact us.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request a list of all third parties to which we, during the immediately preceding calendar year, have disclosed certain personally identifiable information for direct marketing purposes. IKEA does not share personal information about its consumers with any third parties outside the IKEA corporate family for their own marketing purposes. We are only required to respond to a customer request once during any calendar year. To make such a request you should send a letter to IKEA North America Services, LLC, Attn: California Privacy Rights; 420 Alan Wood Road, Conshohocken, PA 19428. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the California privacy rights requirements and only information sharing that is covered will be included in our response.
7. How may you indicate your privacy preferences?
You can set your preferences in your online profile in our websites and apps.
If you no longer wish to receive our marketing materials, you can unsubscribe through your profile. You can also click the unsubscribe link in our marketing emails.
We want to ensure that all the information we have about our customers is correct and up to date. If you find that the personal information we have about you is inaccurate or needs updating (for instance, you may have changed your name or address) please update your profile.
For your mobile device, you may opt out of precise location tracking and/or push notifications by changing your settings. (Note that opting out may affect your ability to fully use the application.) To avoid collection of your MAC address and location data while you are within the IKEA store, turn off the WiFi capability on your phone or other electronic device within your device settings.
8. How do we keep your information safe?
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We have implemented various strategies, controls, policies and measures to keep your information secure and keep these measures under close review. We use encryption techniques and other safeguards such as firewalls and password protection. This means that your information is protected and only accessible by personnel who need it to carry out their job responsibilities, or shared with third parties as described above. We implement physical controls in our buildings that restrict access to your personal information.
9. How long do we retain your information?
10. Links to Third-Party Websites and Additional Terms
In addition, IKEA may from time to time offer special programs, events, promotions or services that have additional terms or privacy policies. We suggest that you review the applicable terms before participating.
11. IKEA’s Privacy Contacts
IKEA North America Services, LLC
Attn: Data Privacy Manager
420 Alan Wood Rd
Conshohocken PA 19428