Home visit: step inside an urban jungle
Take a love of houseplants to the next level. Turn your home into a thriving greenhouse and enjoy the benefits of nature indoors...
Let a hobby grow into a passion that fills your whole home. The first thing you notice when you step into Miriam’s home are the hundreds of plants that surround you. “My collection grew from just one plant to more than 150 tropical varieties in under a year – it quickly became an obsession!”
My plants give me peace and also energy. I love the fresh air in my house and the high humidity makes my skin feel healthier.”
Here are Miriam’s top five tips for keeping plants healthy:
- Be informed about each plant and its needs.
- Plants need light, so keep them as close to windows as possible.
- It’s better to water sparingly than too much.
- Give your plants a lot of love, everything grows with love.
- Have patience, growing takes time.
Plants are living. Some close at night and open in the day. I notice them moving when I’m relaxing on the sofa.”
Here’s how Miriam’s collection grew:
- You could call this an addiction. I bought one plant, two plants and then before I knew it, I became completely obsessed!
- It’s cheaper than collecting handbags! There are so many different beautiful plants in this world and I want them all, so I have to stick to buying just one a week. Learn how to use cuttings to propagate and grow plants for free.
- It’s a healthy habit. My plants are great for my wellbeing, too. I quickly discovered that the high humidity keeps my skin healthy and my mind calm.
Take a tour of Miriam’s plant-filled home.
Miriam shares her two-bedroom house with her husband and daughter. The house was completely white when they moved in, so Miriam added colour with greenery. “I love the way the green plants really stand out against the white walls,” she says. “Nature means a lot to me. And now, even when I’m at home, I can feel outside.”
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.
Interior stylist: Ashlyn Gibson
Photographer: Benjamin Edwards
Follow Miriam on Instagram @meeschmid_plantlady