Cooking with IKEA: warm grain salad
This isn't the first time we've presented you with a simple and unique idea for preparing a delicious salad, but this recipe is sure to surprise you again. Want to see what it's all about?
Today, at #CookingWithIKEA, we'll show you how to make a warm salad with a very special, nutritious and healthy ingredient: grains. Don't miss this step-by-step tutorial to make this quick and easy recipe in a flash!
Meet the chef
We're back with Julio Fernández! Remember his recipes? He taught us how to prepare a delicious recipe for salmon meatballs with sweet mustard and dill, then he surprised us again with a tasty shrimp toast with orange chutney and his latest creation was an exquisite recipe for vegan croquettes.
Haven't met our chef yet? Get to know him here! Julio has been working at IKEA FOOD for six years and is currently a Kitchen Specialist at the IKEA Goya store restaurant in Madrid. Since he was a child, Julio has been passionate about cooking and his thirst for learning is unquenchable. He is currently continuing his Head Chef training at the Escuela de Hostelería y Turismo (School of Hospitality and Tourism — ESAH).
He also has a personal recipe blog, where you can find many more ideas for your lunches and dinners. A blog he describes as "a space where you can find simple recipes for everyone, but with a touch of flair". Sounds tempting, right? Check it out!: www.laollacanalla.com
Today Julio delights us with his talent and experience to teach us all the secrets of this recipe. So put on your apron and get cooking!
Preparation time: 1 hour
Standing time: 5 min.
Ingredients (serves four):
- 1 package of BÄSTISAR mix of grains with mushrooms
- 300 g pumpkin
- 200 g beetroot
- 1 onion
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pomegranate
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Preparing the warm salad
Let's start with the main ingredient of this tasty salad: the grains.
- Add the BÄSTISAR grains and mushroom mix to a pot with 250 ml of water.
- Bring the water to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil, cover the pot with a lid and remove it from the heat. Set it aside with the lid on for around 10 minutes.
Now let's get to the vegetables that will accompany the base of this warm salad.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Using a good knife, cut the pumpkin and beetroot into thick pieces.
- Place the pieces in a baking dish and season with olive oil and salt. Roast them for around 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when they are tender, but not to the point where they fall apart.
- Julienne the onion and sauté it with the cherry tomatoes in a very hot pan.
- Add a splash of vinegar, season with a bit of salt and leave until reduced.
How to make the vinaigrette
- In a bowl, mix three parts oil and one part vinegar. Don't worry if the measurements aren't exact, an approximation will suffice.
- Add the oregano to the same bowl.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients together so that they are well combined.
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, it's time to plate our warm salad. Julio does it in the following way:
- Mix all the ingredients on top of the grains. Save the tomatoes for last.
- Stir the mixture together.
- Place the mixture inside and a ring mould or a bowl and press it down with a spoon to compact it.
- Remove the mould.
- Add some pomegranate seeds to give it a crunchy and sweet touch.
- Add the tomatoes and parsley.
- Finally, add the surprising touch to this dish: roasted pumpkin seeds. They give it a spectacular flavour. As you can see, we make the most of everything here!
What did you think? Prepare the best dishes with these simple recipes, for hassle-free cooking with the results of a real professional.
Oh! Don't forget to share your recipes with us on social media with the hashtag #CookingWithIKEA. We'd love to see your creations!
Don't miss all these delicious recipes.
We love it when customers use our products in a creative way. Why not try to do something new with them yourself? But do remember, any modifications or changes that you make to IKEA products will prevent them from being resold or used for their original purpose, thus invalidating IKEA product warranties and your right to return them.