IKEA JAPAN K.K. (hereinafter referred to as “IKEA”) shall use the valuable Personal Information of our customers (hereinafter referred to as “Personal Information”) in a proper manner with an aim to realize the vision of IKEA, “to create a better everyday life for the many people”. And, in order to realize the business that offers well-designed, functional home furnishing products to our customers at low prices, Personal Information that we collect from our customers will be treated as precious asset of IKEA and the Personal Information will be used by us in developing products that well reflect the opinions of our customers.
Ⅰ Handling of Personal Information of Our Customers
1．Purposes to Use Personal Information
In order to provide pleasant and efficient shopping and other experiences to our customers with the use of our services, IKEA will collect the Personal Information of our customers and use the information within the scope of the following purposes:
(1) To confirm the identity of our customers at the time of purchase, reservation, return or exchange of our products;
(2) To make registrations for various membership services of IKEA and withdrawals therefrom;
(3) For the notification of the arrival of products;
(4) For the billing for and the delivery, installation and after-sales service of our products;
(5) To convey necessary information to third parties on behalf of customers, including the provision of Personal Information of customers to third parties to whom customers entrust the delivery and/or installation of products purchased from us;
(6) For the preparation of product warranty documents;
(7) For the communication of recall information, safety notice, information about lost properties, etc.;
(8) To respond to requests and inquires received by our Customer Service or Customer Support Center;
(9) For questionnaire surveys, and the provision of information about our products through catalogues, documents, e-mails, advertisement from third party etc.;
(10) For the notification of various events including a sale, a competition and prizes, or invitation for participation therein;
(11) To confirm the identity of customers at the time of application for interior advice;
(12) To confirm the identity of customers at the time of application for babysitting service;
(13) For the provision of ancillary services of IKEA related to the foregoing;
(14) For the preparation of statistical data on the purchase of our products, etc.; or
(15) For the research and analysis of data such as the history of product purchases, etc. and the Personal Information.
*1. Only when customer agrees to receive. (Even if the customer cancels the subscription, emails/postal items that have been submitted may still be sent out.)
2．Methods of Collecting Personal Information
IKEA collects the Personal Information of our customers mainly from the following sources:
• Information provided by customers orally or in writing at the time of the purchase, return, exchange, delivery, after-sales service of our products;
• Information provided by customers electronically through the Internet including from the IKEA website; or
• Information obtained as required from our customers in responding to their inquiries over the phone, e-mail, chat tool or FAX.
3．Use and Management of Personal Information
(1) IKEA collects Personal Information of our customers in order to provide the best services to our customers and uses the collected information in compliance with relevant laws and regulations and only to the extent necessary for the purposes mentioned in preceding Article 1.
(2) IKEA has a person responsible for the handling of the Personal Information of our customers and also has in place appropriate internal procedures to ensure the management of the Personal Information in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. IKEA also has in place appropriate security measures against potential risks concerning the protection of the Personal Information.
(3) IKEA may entrust a third party with the handling of the Personal Information of our customers in connection with the delivery and/or installation of our products, the issuance to members of membership cards for various membership-based services, the management and analysis of purchase history records and other data or the processing of clerical work that IKEA may consider necessary. In that case, IKEA confirms to ensure that appropriate security measures as required by relevant laws and regulations are in place at the side of the third party contractor, and monitors the handling by the contractor of the Personal Information in accordance with an outsourcing contract concluded between IKEA and the contractor.
(4) IKEA and our contractor may transfer the Personal Information of our customers to any third party operating overseas.
(5) In the event where any information different from the Personal Information that IKEA obtained from a customer in connection with a specific service is provided by the customer to IKEA, then IKEA may consider the Personal Information provided afterwards is up-to-date information about the customer and update the Personal Information of the customer recorded for the purpose of the service.
4．Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
IKEA will not provide Personal Information of our customers to any third party except for in the case of any of the following situations:
• Where the consent from customers is obtained;
• Where the provision is based on applicable laws and regulations;
• Where the use of the Personal Information is necessary to protect the life, body or property of any person and it is difficult to obtain consent from customers;
• Where IKEA is required to cooperate with any public organization or a contractor thereof in performing work required under any law and obtaining consent from customers is likely to hinder the execution of the said work; or
• Where IKEA outsources any of its operations to a third party who has entered into a non-disclosure agreement with IKEA.
5．Sharing of Personal Information
Companies of IKEA Group will share the Personal Information of our customers in accordance with the following:
(1) Companies within the scope of sharing
Subsidiaries of INGKA Holding B.V.
(2) Purpose of use
Within the scope of the purposes listed in preceding Article 1
(3) Elements of Personal Information to be shared
Name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, history of product purchase and other data that IKEA may obtain from our customers
(4) Person responsible for the management of Personal Information
IKEA JAPAN K.K.
6．Inquiries Concerning Personal Information
IKEA has in place the “Personal Information Consultation Desk” and will promptly respond to any inquiries received at any of the following contact addresses in accordance with our prescribed procedures in connection with the disclosure, correction, suspension of use, deletion or other handling of the Personal Information of our customers.
Company Name: IKEA JAPAN K.K.
Unit in Charge: Personal Information Unit
Postal Address: 2-3-30 Hama-cho, Funabashi-shi, Chiba 273-0012, JAPAN
7．Personal Information of Customers Younger Than 16 Years of Age
Customers younger than 16 years of age are requested to obtain consent from their parent or guardian before providing their Personal Information to IKEA.
Ⅱ Handling of Personal Information On Our Website
Cookies Used by Our Website
Cookies are small text files created to store information that customers provide to us. In usual cases, it is not likely that the Personal Information of customers and the information of their computer systems are stolen through the cookies.