Prepare your home for the holidays
Avoid a packed to-do list in December by getting your space organised early. Rethink what’s essential and keep stress at bay by focusing on key areas. We’ll show you how with our seven easy tips!
1. Simplify socialising and be ready for both big family dinners and spontaneous guests. Hang chairs on the wall next to your dining area (we used ‘chair hooks’). Then you can easily grab them when you need extra seating (plus cleaning the floor will be a breeze).
2. Simplify de-cluttering by starting early instead of a week before Santa arrives. Hang easy to keep clean storage bags on hooks with labels for stuff you want to get rid of, or things you want to store away. Then sort on the go!
3. Create an on/off spot for socialising with a mix of lightweight, stackable and easy-to-move furniture that you can quickly get out when you need extra seating. That space you free up when they’re not in use will give your home an airy, less cluttered feel.
4. Welcome your guests in style with smart storage that makes the most of your wall space. This shelf is small enough to use in ‘deadspaces’ and can be added to by clicking in extra brackets. Add a bathroom towel stand, pimp it with a lighting chain and boom! — your hall is super cosy AND tidy.
5. Your guests will scrutinise your bathroom, that’s for sure! Give it a fresh and cosy atmosphere with a mix of scented candles (we used ‘linen scent’ – think sheets drying on a summer day). Keep piles of neatly folded hand towels on a shelving unit ready to put out for your visitors.
6. Gather all your games and puzzles together on a practical and lightweight shelf that’s easy to take out when it’s games night. Here we used a magazine stand in steel. Keep cards and dice easy to find and ordered in different boxes with lids. Up for a game of chess, anyone?
7. Create a help-yourself-station in sparkling style with napkins and cutlery on a tray. Keep it out on the dining table like a centre piece and let your guests serve themselves at dinner time. Bon Appétit!
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.
Interior designer: Mia Gustafsson
Photographer: Micke Persson
Writer: Anna Blom