Buying your first IKEA kitchen
METOD kitchen system
Our highly customisable kitchen with 25 years guarantee
METOD is a flexible kitchen system that can be customized depending on your needs. With METOD, you can create your dream kitchen from scratch and choose your own worktops, cabinets, drawers and more.
Planning your METOD kitchen
A well-organised kitchen is a kitchen you'll love spending time in.
When planning what your kitchen cabinets should include, think about how you want to utilise them in the best possible way based on your personal needs.
1. The kitchen is a place where you normally do a lot of activities, and it can easily become a bit messy. By having your cleaning equipment close by in a high cabinet, it'll be easier to keep your kitchen spick and span.
2. A deep high cabinet is ideal for storing everything from dry food, oil and vinegar to bulky kitchen machines.
3. Gather all the items you use for setting the table in one spot to make it smooth and easy. Spacious, fully extendable drawers in the base cabinets are great for cutlery, serving bowls and plates. Use the wall cabinets for lighter things like glasses, mugs and jars. If possible, keep this area close to the dishwasher to simplify putting the clean dishes back in place.
4. Deep corner cabinets are perfect for storing bulky pots and other large cooking utensils.
5. Add a VADHOLMA open cabinet to personalise your kitchen and create a nice break in a row of cabinets with doors. Fill it with cookbooks and other often-used items in the kitchen.
6. The sink cabinet is a good place for recycling bins as you do a lot of food preparations in and around it. If you can, place the sink next to the dishwasher as we have done here (if you can’t see the dishwasher, it’s because it’s built-in with the same front as the rest of the kitchen). That way you can rinse off dirty tableware before putting it in the dishwasher, as well as vegetables and other food that you’re about to cook.
7. Use the top drawer underneath the hob for storing knives, whisks and other cooking utensils to have them within easy reach. High drawers underneath are ideal for other gadgets you normally use when cooking, for example frying pans, pots and strainers.
8. A base cabinet between the hob and the built-in oven adds storage for all the extra things that might come handy when cooking: spices, wraps, tinfoil, oven gloves, pot stands and other things you need when using these appliances.
9. By placing the oven in a high cabinet you get it at a perfect working height. And you get storage space for baking sheets, ovenware, serving bowls and whatever else you might use in the oven.
Assembling your METOD kitchen cabinets
The flexibility of the METOD kitchen system allows you to build your very own personalised kitchen cabinets.
To assemble your kitchen cabinet, you just need to choose:
1. A cabinet frame in your desired width and depth.
2. The interior fitting or drawer that holds your items.
3. A drawer front that determines the style and colour of your kitchen.
4. There you go - a complete kitchen cabinet solution.
Completing your new METOD kitchen
Add the finishing touches with worktops, sinks and door handles.
Tested to stand up to years of use, we have both ready-made and tailor-made worktops. You can even get taps that will reduce water consumption thanks to an integrated aerator that mixes in air. Drawer knobs make your cabinets easy to open, while door handles can really tie your room together.
KNOXHULT modular kitchen
Complete kitchen cabinets with 2 years guarantee
If you are looking for a simple and fuss-free kitchen planning experience, you can also consider our KNOXHULT modular kitchen series. The wall and base cabinets come complete with doors and worktops, so all you need to do is combine what you want.
You can do everything yourself...
Your new IKEA kitchen - from start to finish.
These guides help you with every step of the way from measuring and planning to ordering and installing your new kitchen.
...but you don't have to.
We offer a range of services to make your life easier. For more details, talk to a co-worker at the IKEA stores or visit us at IKEA.sg/services.