We're all-in for cotton from more sustainable sources
Why more sustainable cotton matters
Taking action to transform the cotton industry
Find out more about how we work with our code of conduct IWAYto secure e.g working conditions and minimum requirements for environment at our suppliers.
Making a lasting impact
Becoming water positive
Cotton from more sustainable sources
Of the total cotton we use in IKEA products, 18% is recycled cotton. The remaining 82% comes from these sources: Better Cotton: 69%, towards better cotton*, and other more sustainable cotton, such as the E3 program in the US: 13%.
In calendar year 2016, we used more than 131 000 MT of cotton.
*Towards better cotton is a standard developed by IKEA following the same principles and criteria as Better Cotton, on its way to become Better Cotton.
Learn more about how we work with cotton and our partnerships
Since September 1, 2015, all the cotton we use for IKEA products comes from more sustainable sources. This means that the cotton is grown with less water, chemical fertiliser and pesticide, while increasing profit margins for farmers.
Reports & Downloads
Read more about how we source cotton in Turkmenistan (.PDF)
IKEA VIEW: Cotton PDF