We can’t decide which is the best way to enjoy a yummy crumble with this autumn’s apple harvest – layered on top or stuffed inside. With this easy recipe, you don’t have to choose. And if you don’t like apples, you can easily swap them for pears.
ONE CRUMBLE, TWO DESSERTS
70g rolled oats
70g wholemeal flour
60g caster sugar
5-6 cooking apples (approx. 700g)
How to make the crumble:
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
2. Put the oats, wholemeal flour and sugar in a bowl.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes and add this to the mixture.
4. Use your fingertips or a fork to mix the ingredients until they
have a crumbly texture. Set this to one side while you prepare the apples.
How to make the mini apple crumbles:
1. Slice the remaining apples thinly.
2. Grease two ovenproof containers (approx. 14cm wide) and place the sliced apples inside.
3. Pour the remaining crumble mixture on top of the sliced apples.
How to make the stuffed apples:
1. Slice the top off two of the apples and remove the cores and some of the surrounding apple flesh.
3. Add the extra apple flesh to the crumble mixture and then use it to stuff the apples. Replace the apple tops back onto the apples and put them on an ovenproof tray.
Bake the two different dessets in the oven for around 20 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden and the apples are hot.