1. OPEN UP YOUR KITCHEN STORAGE Smart storage doesn’t mean everything has to be hidden away. Keep crockery and kitchen utensils stacked on a long shelf and in open boxes on the worksurface, so everyday items are easy to reach while preparing food.
2. USE THE WALLS IN THE HALLWAY Don’t let a hallway be wasted space. A whole wall of TRONES shoe cabinets can add tonnes of storage to a narrow hallway. ‘As well as shoes, we keep general household stuff hidden in there, too.’
3. FILL AWKWARD SPACES In a compact home, every corner counts! Make the most of space under the stairs by adding small storage solutions. Baskets and boxes keep paperwork and craft supplies organised, and a low dresser is great for storing things out of sight.
4. CUSTOMISE STORAGE IN THE LIVING ROOM Make a large storage unit more effective by adding pull-out boxes and inserts. Mix open storage with closed and choose different materials to give it a personal, customised look.
6. ENCOURAGE CREATIVITY Make it easy for kids to find inspiration in their bedroom. Mercedes’ daughter Emília (6) has shelves and boxes around her desk for all her colourful art supplies and toys. She picks out new pictures for her walls every few weeks and Mercedes helps her display them using washi tape.
‘I’ve never lived in a big home, so I’ve learned how to be smart with storage,’ says Mercedes. ‘We fit everything we need into whatever space we have – just like my mother did.’
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.