Sustainability shouldn't be a luxury
The planet is the only home we have. We want to demonstrate that at IKEA, sustainability and affordability go hand in hand & make great solutions accessible for the many.
Our goals until 2030
Our sustainability ambitions and commitments are set for 2030 in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals. To reach them, we are now accelerating into a decade of action. Together with co-workers, customers, and partners the world over, we are tackling climate change, unsustainable consumption, and inequality. Here we have summarized some of our goals that we want to achieve by 2030:
- IKEA will become climate positive. This means reducing more greenhouse gas emissions than the IKEA value chain emits.
- We strive for 100% renewable energy (electricity, heating, cooling and fuels) across the IKEA value chain.
- We will make our products exclusively from renewable and recycled materials.
- We will offer more and more services to help care for and pass on products, such as the Second Life Service.
- By 2025, we will ensure emission-free home delivery.
- We make Photovoltaic Systems and Heat pumps accessible to the many Swiss people because we believe that Clean Energy is the future of our planet.
- By 2022, we will achieve full gender equality. That means equal opportunities, equal pay and a 50/50 gender balance.
Ideas how to live more sustainable
Care for the things you have!
We applaud taking care of what you already have and we want to make it easy for you to enjoy our products for a long time. If you have an old piece of furniture with many good memories, you do not have to let go of it yet. If you need something new, we want to offer flexible solutions that can change and move with you. Here you will find tips on how to extend the life of the furniture so that you can enjoy it for many years to come.
Let’s celebrate with no food waste!
In the average Swiss household, around 90 kg of edible food is lost per person and year. Not only is that a waste of food, it also corresponds to an amount more than CHF 600 per person and year, straight to the bin. To reduce this, we all need to get smart about planning meals and storing leftovers, both in our everyday life and during the holiday season.
Also, we know food plays a major role to our health – and it has a big impact on the environment from its production, processing and disposal. Choosing the right food and care for it is the most sustainable way forward!
At IKEA, we are wholeheartedly set on securing a brighter future for our planet and us human beings. We have set ourselves the target of supporting you with this – with more than 4,000 products for a more sustainable life at home. Whether you are fully committed to recycling, want to enjoy your coffee more sustainably or improve your energy balance – with our ideas and products, we want to make it easy & affordable for you to live a more sustainable day-to-day life. And it all begins in your home.
If you set a good example and inspire others, we can work together to make long-lasting positive changes for human beings and the environment.”
Franziska BarmettlerCountry Sustainability Manager
We want to enable and inspire you to live a more healthy and sustainable life within the limits of the planet and believe that action speaks louder than words. To spark real change, we believe a positive, proactive and collaborative approach can turn climate challenges into scalable solutions. No one can do everything, but everyone can do something. And together we will solve this.