• IKEA Group has committed to own 137 wind turbines and installed 550,000 solar panels, taking the company a step closer to producing more renewable energy than the total energy it uses by 2020.
• Sold 22.4 million LED products including 12.3 million LED bulbs. The LED bulbs alone save each customer €7 in electricity costs per bulb, per year compared with incandescent. Customers will save a combined total of €86 million per year from the LED bulbs sold.
• €40 million saved through energy efficiency efforts in stores and warehouses since FY10.
• IKEA Group is one of the world’s largest buyers of FSC-certified wood in the retail sector, and almost 1/3 of its wood was FSC certified or recycled in FY13. All wood was sourced from suppliers that meet the IKEA forestry standard.
• The share of cotton from more sustainable sources used in products more than doubled, increasing from 34% (FY12) to 72% (FY13).
• 47% of managers are women.
• The IKEA Foundation donated €101 million in 2013 to projects that support millions of children in some of the world’s poorest communities, a 21% increase from 2012.
“Everyone, including IKEA, has a part to play in tackling the expected shortages of resources and the impacts of climate change while providing people with a good quality of life. With our vision of creating “a better everyday life for the many people,” I am convinced there is no other way of doing business than in a sustainable way,” said Peter Agnefjäll, President and CEO, IKEA Group.
“One year on from the launch of our People & Planet Positive strategy, we are making good progress – more than doubling the amount of cotton we buy from more sustainable sources, investing in renewable energy, and enabling millions of people to live more sustainably at home. The 22 million LED products we sold during the year show that more sustainable products have great appeal when customers can understand the savings they can make from day one,” said Steve Howard, Chief Sustainability Officer, IKEA Group.
*The fiscal year (FY) 2013 of IKEA runs from September 1 2012 to August 31 2013.
For further information, please contact: Viky Anderson,
IKEA UK & IE Press Office
Tel: +44 (0)845 255 7126
About IKEA Group
The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. Our business idea supports this vision by offering a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them. There are currently 305 IKEA Group stores in 26 countries. In FY13, the IKEA Group had 135 000 co-workers, 684 million visitors to the stores and 1.3 billion visitors to IKEA.com. For more information, please visit www.IKEA.com.