Helena’s pickled cucumbers
A few small cucumbers
250ml distilled malt vinegar
500ml distilled water
Sugar to taste
A few sprigs of crown dill
1. Rinse and finely slice the cucumbers.
2. Peel and finely slice some horseradish, to your taste.
3. Combine all the other ingredients in a container and shake to make a brine.
4. Put the cucumbers and horseradish into a sterilised jar and pour the brine over, ensuring the ingredients are completely covered. Tap the jar to release any air bubbles in the liquid before sealing.
5. Store in the fridge. After 24 hours, enjoy in sandwiches or with cured meats.
‘Pickling cucumbers is an easy and fun thing to do with children. My son Viggo and I often pick and pickle together’
Helena, photographer and cook, Sweden
Helena’s redcurrant cordial
180g caster sugar
1. Rinse the redcurrants and remove any tough stalks and leaves.
2. Put them in a saucepan, add the water, bring to the boil and let them simmer until they’ve burst (about 10 minutes).
3. Strain them through a sieve lined with a muslin cloth.
4. Pour the juice back in the saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for three minutes, removing any scum from the surface with a spoon.
5. Pour the cordial into a sterilised bottle and, once opened, store in the fridge. Enjoy as a drink by diluting with water, add it to salad dressing, or drizzle some over ice cream.
‘I label my pickles and preserves with the date of when I made them – it’s like bottling memories of summer’
Photography: Dan Duchars
Styling: Carl Braganza
Follow Helena at hoshelenah.com